The primary objective of task mapping and job risk analysis is to provide technical background information on worker safety and accident prevention in the production for the development of a functional literacy life skills curriculum and radio social messaging campaign for children and youth working in a particular industry or job sector.
The overall purpose of task mapping and job risk/ergonomics analysis is to:
- map the tasks and activities performed by children and youth in a particular job, work or industry sector; and
- identify pain and acute or potential for chronic injuries that result from performing these tasks and activities.
The task mapping and job risk/ergonomics analysis compares the data collected during the task mapping and job risk/ergonomics review to:
- determine specific tasks and activities in the production process that are hazardous and not appropriate for children and/or youth to perform,
- determine if there are age- and task- appropriate activities in the production process of a commodity that are not hazardous for children and youth to perform and the conditions under which they would not be hazardous, and
- identify areas where worker safety interventions and education could be applied to prevent long-term injuries to children and youth if they perform such work-related activities.
The results of a task mapping and job risk/ergonomics analysis can also assist in the:
- design of child labor intervention strategies for child labor in a particular industry or work sector,
- labor compliance monitoring of children and youth’s engagement in hazardous work activities in a particular industry or work sector,
- monitoring of accidents and injuries associated with tasks in the production process of a particular commodity and designing strategies for the reduction of accidents and injuries within the workforce,
- creation of vocabulary and content for the development of functional vocational literacy and other skills training curricula, and
- development of materials and teaching tools about worker safety in the industry or work sector for children, youth, and adults.